Thursday, June 25, 2009

Let the FUN begin!

We have been chomping at the bit for the last month just waiting for the chum salmon (also referred to as dogs) to start running. We have been out to Amalga Harbour on numerous occasions just to check if the fish were running. Every time we have been disappointed and left feeling a little down. However, our luck changed on Monday night when the boys decided to leave the girls at home to watch the Bachelorette and go fishing. They had a great time snaggin' some dogs. Tuesday was a pretty rainy day and we had a night in but Wednesday was an AWESOME night for fishing. Brett and I headed out around 8 pm and didn't leave Amalga until after 10 pm. We were catching lots of fish! On Brett's 2nd cast of the night he snagged one that was a fighter that ended up snapping his line. We caught about a half dozen fish but only ended up keeping one (one that I caught). The reason we don't keep them when we catch them is because they have already started to spawn and therefore are deteriorating so their meat is not any good. Even though we aren't keeping them it is so much fun. It's so much fun that I dare say my mother-in-law would love to snag a salmon. :) There's no feeling like that of having a big fish pull hard on your line and fight like heck to stay in the water. I even have a few blisters on my right hand from holding onto the pole and pulling so hard. The weather was fantastic and the fishin was great. We're hoping for some more wonderful days of fishing that are yet to come!Here's a few pictures that I captured of our evening unfortunately there aren't more pictures because my camera battery died from taking so many pictures. There was an absolutely beautiful sunset and some amazing eagle shots that I could have taken but I'll have to get them next time... Enjoy! If you click on this picture you'll notice the salmon jumping in the air on the left hand side

2 comments:

Natalie said...

That looks gorgeous and SOOOO fun! You're right, your mother-in-law would love reeling in a big dog! :)

Emily M said...

Chels- that fish is huge! Way to go! That looks like a ton of fun and like Nat said- gorgeous! I can just see my mom out there fishing!