Sunday, July 6, 2008

Happy 4th of July!


Happy 4th of July everyone! Brett and I have been together for over a year a half but oddly enough we have never seen the fireworks together. Last summer I was in New Jersey so this summer happens to be the first 4th of July that we've spent together. Here in Juneau, the firworks happen every year on July 3rd just before midnight. They have to do them that late because it just barely gets dark enough at 11:30, so they bring in the 4th with fireworks. Everyone in the entire city goes downtown to watch the fireworks. There are people everywhere! We found a spot along the east side of the harbor by one of the cruise ships and we got to enjoy the firworks together. Megan and Zach have been in Seattle for their 5-year anniversary (HOLY COW!) so we were by ourselves. We had a lot of fun and really enjoyed spending the day together. The fireworks were quite amazing because the clouds were really low so they were brighter and louder. Plus, they echo off of the mountains on both sides of the channel, so every "BOOM" is loud! Every big firework that went off sounded like a huge cannon exploding. Sometimes we felt like we were going to have to take cover. It also made us realize that being away from home is harder during holidays when you know family traditions are still going on back home. We sure do miss the fun events of the good ol' Cache Valley. We miss everyone from home but we are having a blast up here! And in Brooklyn's words: "In the name of Jesus Christ, Amen."

4 comments:

Emily M said...

I enjoyed all the new postings. It was fun seeing all the pictures. It was so good to talk to you guys the other day. We sure do miss you guys. I am glad you guys are having a good time! (i really have the stuff to send for your pay-it-forward- I will try and get to it this week.)

ndpettingill said...

Chelsea.. WOW long time no see. It appears we are both married now, happy and in love. Alaska looks amazing, it is on my list of places to go before I die. Hopefully I will run into you when you are back in Logan. It is crazy to see everyone growing up and moving on with their wonderful lives! I just made a blog like last month because I love looking at everybody elses, and seeing what they are up to. It is mrandmrspettingill.blogspot.com. Love ya cutie, hopefully I will see you soon!

Natalie said...

That fireworks display sounds amazing. I am such jealous! You should post more pictures. I'm so glad we got to talk to you the other day. We really, really miss you!

Paula said...

I am sad to say that I didn't get to talk to you the other day and that we missed you guys at Bear Lake. I am so envious of all the beautiful sites you are seeing there. It sounds like everywhere you look it is beautiful. I have told my family that we are all going to quit our jobs or take a leave and go to Alaska next summer to work. They thought it sounded great, but somehow I don't think it will work because we would have to come home to no jobs. BUT it is still a good idea!!! I make it sound like I actually have a job, but no I really don't. As soon as I get through playing, I am thinking about getting one unless, of course, it would interfer with all my other activites. Don't even think about staying up there. We really miss you!