Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Work, Work, Work

Yesterday, Brett had a 13 hour work day! Talk about a long day! Luckily, today he had a short day and was done by 1 pm, I didn't have to work today and was home doing homework all day. When Brett got home he passed out on the couch with the Bostons before he even had time to change his clothes. We love the Boston! Buxton is especially cuddly. (Brett looks kinda chubby in this picture but it's just the way that he is sitting. He hasn't gained any weight since we've moved.) The cafe where I work started opening at 6 am this week. That means that I have to be there at 5:30 to get things prepped before we open. I hate early mornings but with it being so sunny it makes it very easy to get up in the morning. One of the great things I love about work is that I get to meet people from all over that world that come to visit the great big Alaska. On Sunday we had a tour group of Germans that stayed at the hotel and requested early breakfast, so we had to open at 5:45. They were all very pleasant people except for one man... Everything was going very well until a couple came in and ordered 2 country breakfasts. That comes with biscuits and gravy, eggs, and their choice of meat. They told me they wanted scrambled eggs and bacon. About 5 minutes later when I took their food to them the man got very upset with me and started yelling at me that it was not what he ordered. I attempted to explain that it was exactly what he ordered but there was quite a language barrier and he refused to understand. As I reached down to take his plate of food back and just give him the eggs and bacon and some toast he proceeded to scoop his biscuits (still with the gravy on top) at me. Gravy went flying all over my apron. What a great way to start your morning?!? Meanwhile, the lovely tour guide (who spoke perfect English) just sat and stared at us as he was yelling at me, offering no help to the situation at all. Gotta love the foreigners. :) After the whole escapade, I didn't really want to serve him anything but he kept asking for more coffee, more toast, and more yogurt. Being the good person that I am I kept going back. Luckily, the tour group he was with was paying for his meal and they were the ones tipping me so I didn't have a thing to worry about. All of this just makes me happy to be able to communicate with those around me.

5 comments:

Natalie said...

Oh my gosh! You are a saint! Don't you just hate grumpy people? I'm glad you got a good tip out of the experience, though. Brett looks quite cozy there with the dog. I guess it's the next best thing to Gus. Love ya!

Emily M said...

What a JERK! I was never a waitress, but dealing with people at shopko was enough. I probably would have thrown the stuff back at him. Congrats do Dillon on the honorable mention for the all-valley soccer team. Take care

Mama T said...

What a cute threesome! I miss the boston's. I miss Brett too. Did the shoes arrive

Kelly said...

Who is Mama T? Whomever she is... I like her "handle." That is a CB term for those of you who are not up on CB lingo.
Gads, if you hadn't mentioned that the breakfast man was a German, I would have put good money on him being a New Yorker. Do people tip well up there? I heard Brett got run over by his own bus. Is that true?

Paula said...

I think that is disgusting. You shouldn't have to put up with being treated like that. It is a good thing I wasn't there! You are a good person for keeping your cool and not letting him have it!