Thursday, June 5, 2008

Car Troubles, AGAIN?!?!

This morning I had to be to work at 5:30 (as usual) and Brett at to be there by 6:15. I get off work early then Brett does so I took the car that we are barrowing from Megan and Zach with me to work. We have to travel on the one highway in Juneau to get to downtown, where we both work, all was going to well until we got about 1 mile from Brett's work. The car started to shake and it felt like we had a square tire. So we pull over to see if we have and flat and nothing looks wrong at all. Brett thinks that the CV joint has gone out (again) only this time it's the rear driver's side. So I dropped Brett off and headed to work, not wanting to deal with the car problems before work. When I go out to my car to leave work, I realize that my tire is almost completely flat. So I put air in it and think that it will be enough to get me home (it's not that far... only about 4 or 5 miles). When I get about 1/2 way my car is shaking really bad again and I know that I can't keep going. I pull off of the highway onto a side road and then into a pull out area. When I get out my tire is completely flat. At this point I realize that I only have 2 options: I can either sit in the car and wait for help or I can change the tire to the share on the back and drive home. So I decide to use the skills my wonderful dad taught me and change the tire. Remember: I just got off work so I am in a nice white shirt and business pants :)
I got everything out and start changing the tire, the jack is too tall to fit anywhere close to the tire so I put it more towards the middle of the car. I get the flat off and try to put the spare on and the car is not high enough. So I had to put the spare back on and then dig a hole under the car so the jack could be short enough to fit closer to the wheel but still be stable.... Somewhere in the middle of all of that it started to down pour. Luckily it only lasted about 5 minutes but I kept working the entire time. I got the sudden urge that i had to pee and I had to go right then. So I quickly run to the sid eof the road (there was a small ditch) and went right next to the highway. Once I relieved myself I was finally able to dig a good size hole and get under way again. From the whole experience I got very black hands and a little dirt on my face (that's what the picture is of) and my shirt. Thank you to my wonderful husband who was so patient with me and helped me with a couple of questions as I changed the tire. And thank you to my dad who was kind enough to teach me when I thought I would never have to know how to do it. THANK YOU!
And luckily, the car troubles are nothing serious this time! :)

5 comments:

Emily M said...

I cannot believe that. Of all the bad luck. GOod for you and changing the tire

Kami Anderson said...

Good for you! The time I decided to change a flat by myself I couldn't get the lug nuts off. Luckily a nice UPS driver came along and helped me out. He struggled to get them off too so I didn't feel like too big of a wimp.

Mama T said...

Good job sis! A little soap and water and you're as good as new. What a good Dad you have. I wouldn't be able to change an tire. My brain doesn't work well under pressure. (Rain and a full bladder would be enough pressure to put me over the edge)

Natalie said...

What a great story! I am so proud of you for changing the tire and loved that you used the bathroom on the side of the road. What a gal!

Kelly said...

If Princess Nat is proud, then I'm proud.
Queen James