Saturday, November 17, 2012

I love being a Mormon

Superstorm Sandy is still affecting many of our fellow brothers and sisters here on the East Coast. And every Saturday and an even a few Sundays we have been out with the Mormon Helping Hands, coordinated through our ward, to assist the people in our area that were affected by this Superstorm Sandy.
It has truly been a blessing a to be able to help those who were affected by the storm - even though the people we have been helping have not lost everything, they have still lost a lot and have needed help, mucking out basements, moving trees, cleaning up water-damaged stuff, etc. We have been blessed to be a part of this and hope that we can continue to be a part of this.
We were met by so many who were SO thankful just to have people checking on them, making sure they were ok, doing anything they can to help. And like this video describes, we have been able to be hope to people who were almost too overwhelmed to even think they could keep working.
Although, I am not thankful for Superstorm Sandy, I am grateful for the opportunities that we have had to serve the people who have been in need.
One of things that we have found amusing was before the election when we were out helping people, and I had a cute little old lady say to me, "I sure am grateful for the the things you have been able to do to help me and my neighbors today but I am sorry to say that I am still not voting for "your" presidential candidate." I just smiled at her and told her that there would be many Mormons who probably wouldn't be voting for Romney and that we weren't there to get votes but to help our brothers and sister who need help. She just smiled and said. "I  thought you should know."  I then gave her a hug and continued to help her. We had a few encounters like this and they just made us smile.
I love being a Mormon. I love what it means to serve our brothers and sisters and I am grateful for the work ethic that both Brett and myself were taught by loving parents so that we would have a desire to serve those in need with a smile. May the Lord continue to bless us with opportunities to serve our fellow brothers and sisters.
Enjoy the following video:
Mormon Helping Hands

3 comments:

Mallory Leatham said...

I loved this video. What a neat opportunity. Glad you are having such great experiences! Sure miss you guys!

Scott and Heidi said...

I'll admit--I cried a little while watching this. What an amazing experience! Love you!

Janalee Anderson said...

That is so cool. I enjoyed the video. Thanks for sharing your experience. We'll be missing you guys tomorrow but we're thankful you were safe throughout the storm and have the ability and desire to help others.