Monday, September 12, 2011

Sept 11, 2011

Ten years ago, on Sept 11, I was in 7th grade. I had just walked into Ms. Giacalone (Ms G's) 7th grade science class. The first bell of school was just about to ring, she had the TV on and was staring at it and didn't care if we were in our seats or not when the bell rang. All of the sudden the 2nd plane flew into the second tower and she screamed. She was freaking out - she used to be a flight attendant and was certain that she knew people on the planes. She was pretty inconsolable and I remember thinking that this was very strange - nothing ever happens like this to the good ol' US of A. I remember the rest of the day was very somber. All we did was watch the TV until the principle made all teachers turn off the TV's in 3rd hour. I didn't really grasp the gravity of the whole situation but I remember exactly where I was and the feelings that I felt that day.
Now, ten years later, I am a lot closer to the Big Apple and the whole situation. There were lots of speculations that something was going to happen on the 10th anniversary and it was going to even bigger than it was before. Let's just say I'm sure glad nothing tragic happened - only patriotic displays were seen throughout CT and the surrounding states. Many more people in Connecticut (and this area of the USA) were affected by that awful day then people in Utah were.
Many people from our ward were affected by the events that took place on 9/11/01, some of them recalled losing clients, friends, and families on that dreadful day. One man from our ward is a singer/songwriter and he composed this song titled "Build it Higher". He plays all of the instruments and his wife does the backup vocals.
Here's a link to his webpage - this song is the first one that plays when you connect to the website.
http://www.robtaylor.com/

“Son, why you crying?” my grandpa said
“Why are your little eyes all red? You can tell me it’s all right”
And I said, “I build a castle as tall as me, now it’s only sand and sea
Cause the waves came up too high”
And he said. “Life’s been known to take what we build down
But we rise again, as sure as we are tired…

And build it higher
When it all falls down
Cause it ain’t right to leave that empty space in the ground
So build it higher and let it touch the sky
But don’t ever forget the day that it made you cry
Cause it made you wiser
Now c’mon let’s build it higher”

I still hear sirens when I recall
How the flames burned all the walls of the house my Grandpa made
And he stood there right beside me and watched the smoke
And I could see he was loosin’ hope
I couldn’t think of what to say except for  
“Life’s been known to take what we build down
But we’ll rise out of the ashes and the fire…

And build it higher
When it all falls down
Cause it ain’t right to leave that empty space in the ground
So build it higher and let it touch the sky
But don’t ever forget the day that it made you cry
Cause it made you wiser
Now c’mon let’s build it higher”

Well my Grandpa wasn’t president on 9/11/01
But each September there’s no towers
I can’t help but wish he was
Cause he’d honor all the heroes and those who died that day
And he’d stand before the nation and this is what he’d say
“Life’s been known to take what we build down
But sure as evil men will still conspire…

We’ll build it higher
When it all falls down
cause it ain’t right to leave that empty space in the ground
So build it higher and let it touch the sky
But don’t ever forget the day that it made you cry
Cause it made you wiser
Now c’mon let’s build it higher”

I know that I will never forget the feelings from that day but I hope that we can forgive those who have wronged us or our nation and "Build it Higher" and be strengthen by this tragic event.