Friday, December 5, 2008

Tis the Season

Well I certainly hope that everyone had a wonderful Thanksgiving because we sure did! I must say that after about 2 weeks of not being in your own house and living out of suitcases, I am glad to be back at our house. Ellis and Traci had a very successful, happy adoption and gained a new little guy just in time for the holidays. Megan and Zach arrived from Alaska last Tuesday night. So between staying at our parents while the Days were here and then staying there with Megan and Zach, we're glad to be back. We sure are grateful that we have such great family and they let us stay and eat their food whenever we want. :)
Thanksgiving was our first major holiday together. And let me tell ya, it was a little rough. Due to some miscommunication on both of our parts, we had a major "discussion". It was nothing serious and not a big deal at all but it made me realize two things. First, that both of us have such great families and we both feel so 'at home' when we're with both sides that it really doens't matter where we are for the holidays. And second, I realized how grateful I am to have a husband who wants to be with his family and is willing to spend time with mine too. Hopefully, we got all of the 'discussion' out about the holidays and we'll never have to have a 'discussion' again.
As I mentioned, Megan and Zach were here for about a week. They really couldn't have chosen a crappier time to come, considering that Brett and I both had so much homework, but during the time when they were with the Joneses, we managed to get a lot of work done. We were so happy to be able to share Thanksgiving with them and have them around for a week. Me and Zach sure do like to tease each other and it makes me wish they were around a lot more so we could hang out more together and do more fun things together. Megan, my mom, and I really enjoyed shopping together. Yes, I did manage to get nearly all of my Christmas shopping done - YAHOO! So I don't have to worry about that anymore. We did a lot of shopping for Megan's little "man baby" and it was so fun to be able to enjoy girl things with my sister. I sure do miss her and wish she was around more so that we could do more girl things together.
Decemeber 2 was also my birthday. I have to give props to Brett for trying to make my day special. My family was out of town taking Megan and Zach back to the airport so it was just me and Brett, with lots of homework to do on that night. We did go out to dinner with my family and the Petersen's the night before. It was really fun to visit with everyone and have everyone there. Brett gave me some sweaters and a pair of pants (all of which I picked out) on my birthday. And he did surprise me with one gift that was very unexpected - hiking boots! Yeah! I need some so bad and they fit just right and they are perfect! I had to laugh when I saw the wrap job, he used masking tape because he couldn't find the Scotch tape (which was sitting on the desk). :) He even bought me a lemon cake and sang Happy Birthday to me. He is such an awesome husband. Sometimes I'm not sure what I did to deserve such a great husband but I'm sure glad that he's mine. I'm so thankful for him and the efforts he went through to make my birthday special, even when he had a million others things to do. He's the best!

Suz and Gracie



Brett's wrap job

My new shirt and pants

Me and MeganMe and Brett

Me and Brett when we went shooting with Megan and Zach

4 comments:

Natalie said...

Okay so I love the "discussion." That is hilarious. I don't know what the "discussion" was all about, but I'm sure glad you "discussed" your way right over to Granny's house so we could enjoy a thrilling game of Loaded Questions. It just wouldn't have been the same without you.

Sure do love ya and hope your birthday was divine. :)

Emily M said...

I too am glad you two made it on Thanksgiving! Holidays are the worst and trying to share your time with both families. I am just realizing that I didn't call or text you on your actual birthday! What an awful sister-in-law! I am glad Brett did it up good for you! THanks again for watching the gals tonight- they are lucky to have so many people that love them.

Kami Anderson said...

It was great to see you guys on Thanksgiving. I'm glad to hear you had a good birthday.

Jill said...

HAPPY (belated) BIRTHDAY! Go Petey~ we love the wrap job and good thinking on the hiking boots surprise!! We think you two are so fun & we can't wait to see ya.