Wednesday, October 22, 2008

The HUNT

As many people know, this week is the deer hunt. For any of those who don't know, the Petersen Family are 'die hard" hunters. They don't really care if they get anything, they go out everyday looking for deer, but they don't mind if they don't shoot anything - they just LOVE the outdoors. It's been a family tradition for about 60 years and will probably keep going as long as there are mountains to call home for a week. Deer Camp is quite the extravagant event. They really know to live up there in the hills. They all like to think that they 'rough' it for a week but heaven knows that they don't. They have quite the camp. It's really fun for the whole family and even the little ones can enjoy it because every tent is heated. Well, Brett has taken off for a week and left me a widow (someone has to stay home and be responsible). I don't mind because I get a lot done when it's just me at home but I sure do miss him. It's the longest we will have ever been apart - all for 'the hunt'. And when he returns - NO MORE BEARD! He's been growing it for 3 months and I almost don't remember him without a beard. He started going it early for 'the hunt' this year and soon 'the hunt' will be over and there will be no more beard. I will have to say that I do have mixed emotions about this. I have quite enjoyed the beard and will be sad to see it go but will once again have my husband back and not some mountain man.

I did get the opportunity to head up to Deer Camp last night and spend the night. We had a great time. Great food, great company, and a great time. I just wanted you all to be able to experience just a little bit of Deer Camp, especially my mother-in-law (who never makes it up to deer camp), to be able to know the true joy of her husband while he is away. He is taking a shower, with HOT water in the shower tent (I must say that it is quite nice - Craig said it's better than The Hilton). You can't really see anything in the video but the beautiful noises that you will hear are hilarious! If you look close you can see the silhouette of the shower tent and the light illuminating the tent. Make sure the volume is turned up...

This would explain where Brett gets his wonderful singing habits from. To see exactly what I'm talking about click here. Scroll down to the post: Brett loves Suma!! and watch the video.
This is a picture of us at Deer Camp, enjoying the fire.
Check out my sweet beanie – I think I’m going to wear it to school every day.
We were playing in the fire and were throwing ash in the air. I was able to snatch this picture of it. We thought it was pretty sweet and thought you’d all enjoy it too. If you look at it close it looks like a ball of hair on fire – kinda cool.

4 comments:

Kami Anderson said...

I missed seeing you at camp this year. We missed each other by a few hours. Hope the test went well today. Love ya!

Emily M said...

Pops singing in the shower is classic- as is Brett's singing to Suma!

Alex and Anna said...

HAHA!!! That whole post made me laugh. His beard is so long! Sounds like a pretty fun family tradition! you and brett are way cute

Natalie said...

Oh deer camp...how do we love thee? Brett makes a great mountain man, you look hot in the beanie, my dad is an awesome singer (so is Brett), and that fire picture is AWESOME! Did I mention that Brett has ALWAYS been a pyromaniac?