Thursday, August 7, 2008

What we've been up to...


So this is the first time that I've made a post on the blog (its me Brett just in case you were wondering). Chels is down making some grilled cheese's and so I'm on blog duty, man I love grilled cheese's.
This past week has been quite adventuresome. We have finally had some sunshine; from July 3rd to about July 30th it rained almost non-stop and the sun literally didn't come out that entire time, so we were a bit depressed. But low and behold the past couple days the sun has come out and I now realize it does still exsist! With the sun coming out we have finally gotten out and did a few things.
Last friday my work had an end of the month party and we went zip-lining. It was pretty danged fun, neither Chels or myself have ever done it so it was very fun. We had five zips that were a couple hundred feet in length and then a suspension bridge. Out of our whole group I was the only one to not make it all the way to a platform and ended up sliding back to the middle, and was ridiculed by the others in a vituperate manner.
On saturday we went out to Echo Cove and had a campfire and roasted bratwursts (of which I ate to many and felt rather ill). Later on when the tide rolled out the pink salmon started schooling close to the shore and so we went and did some snagging. We caught probably close to twenty in an hours time, but only three were still good to eat.
Yesterday we went on a couple of different tours. We started the day out with the Alaska Juneau/Gastineau mine tour. They were the two main mines operating in Juneau between 1881-1945. We went through some of the old milling ruins, and then went into an old mine shaft where we saw a few demonstrations of hard rock mining techniques. It was really cool to see the technology them old boys had it leaves one with a feeling of obeisance. We finished off with some gold panning!!
Then in the afternoon we took a float plane flight seeing excursion. It was awesome, we flew down to the Tracy arm and passed over the Taku Glacier. We then proceeded to fly over part of the Juneau icefields and came down over the Mendenhall glacier. It is so awesome getting to see the area from the air, and the icefields are spectacular. Many of the tourist attractions are sort of a brummagem, but this one was great!It was a very enjoyable day off for both Chelsea and myself, it has left us both feeling in a rather spoony mood. May I add that for a tourist to have the type of day that we had, it would cost them roughly $1200. WOW! We are luckily! :)
Enjoy our slideshow!

4 comments:

Natalie said...

HAHA! This post made me laugh when I read it because I could totally hear Brett in every word. Classic!

Greg loves mining and is going to love your slideshow. I'm so glad your Alaskan Adventures have been so wonderful, but I am awfully glad you're coming home soon! Love ya!

Whitney Hale said...

hey chels! i found your blog! you guys look like you're having tons of fun! how have you guys been?

Mama T said...

Cool stuff guys. I think you guys are having the time of your lives. We miss you too, but are sure glad we can share all of this thru your blog.

Kami Anderson said...

Wow! You guys have had the coolest summer ever. I am so jealous. We saw Chelsea's mom at the rodeo and she said you'll be back on the 23rd. We are so excited to see you. Love ya!