Sunday, March 24, 2013

Guatemala Day 2

Monday 4, 2012 (Monday)
            Well today was our first official treatment day.  We were up and breakfast by 0700, then rolled out at 0800.  We split all of us into two groups.  I was in a group with Gary Austin, Alicia Spiro, Jen Crane (resident), Steve Fiorenza, Olivia Durning, Carissa Brailsford, and Rachel Tarini.  For translators we had Sabina (petite little mayan gal), Omar (Guatemalan with glasses), Isai, Addison (17 year old gal from the states that her family moved down here), and Suzy (a gal down here from Germany).  I worked a little bit with Isai and Suzy as translator, but mostly Addison.  She was really quite amazing.  Her parents moved down here two years ago, they have a large family and she’s the oldest down here.  They are all home schooled and she helps with the missionary work.  She has a great control of the language and was very helpful to work with…I am really just amazed cuz I know at seventeen (even though I wasn’t a real hooligan) I would definitely not have that same poise and ability.  The clinic we set up was in the village of Pastores.  It is about thirty minutes north and west of Antigua.  The clinic we set up was in a large open building with a stage…similar to an LDS cultural hall.  We had an in-take table then four treatment tables.  We were kind of paired up early on, I was with Jen to start out with then I kind of ended up on my own with just a translator and the patient.  That was actually quite intimidating and I really realized how far I still have to go in becoming a good clinician.  Throughout the day I can’t remember exactly how many patients that I saw but I think it was about six or seven.  We saw a lot of patients who had diabetes and so we had to do a good sensory screening of their distal extremities, especially their feet.  All of the patients that I saw were in their 60’s or older, and all women except one older gentleman who was about to turn 90.  They are a very strong and labored population.  Many of them are of Mayan descent and small in stature.  I was amazed at just how incredibly strong they were as I would examine them.  There was a lot of overall muscular pain, some osteoarthritis, diabetes, neck and shoulder pain, back pain, etc. 
I think one of the crazier things that I experienced today was a lady that had ALL the red flags for active cancer (previous history, had lost 20 pounds in one month, pain at night keeping her up, point tenderness in vertebrae and ribs, etc).  She also had a lot of musculoskeletal pain as well; she told me that she has to do all of the work around the home while her husband is at work (chop and haul wood, clean, cook, repair, etc).  With her it was very hard to send her on her way because I don’t know that she will get an opportunity to go see a physician and get things checked out.
As part of our work here we are providing some quality footwear to the people.  We did a shoe drive and brought down like fifteen suitcases (not sure how many but I would say between 100-200 pairs of shoes).  We also brought a bunch of socks and shoe laces.  These people walk everywhere and quality footwear is not always very available.  As part of fitting them with shoes and socks we also washed their feet; not to be degrading but their feet are not in the best and cleanest condition.  It was an incredible blessing to be able to serve them in such an intimate way, I can say this, performing that symbolic act definitely makes the experience that much more poignant.  I truly hope that in some small way I was able to give back what I have been so abundantly blessed with, especially to give back and follow the Master healer.
Following our day we packed up and headed back around 1645, we got back to the hotel and helped unload all the gear at the church.  We had about thirty minutes to settle in then had dinner at 1800.  Following dinner we came back to the little courtyard and had a debriefing between the two groups.  The other group went to a local hospital for children with developmental problems and also to the wheelchair manufacturing plant.  That is what I will be doing tomorrow.

No comments: